Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Post of The Dulcet Dialogue

Introducing myself into the world of blogging has been on my To-Do list for quite some time now, and finally I am here!
First things first, I would like to explain the intent of this particular blog.  I am going to write primarily about being a type one diabetic. About three years ago, my life dramatically changed when I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. The chronic disease, previously known as juvenile diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults. In type one diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. Only 5-10% of people with diabetes have this form of the disease. With the help of insulin therapy and other treatments, I am able to live. Insulin therapy keeps type one diabetics alive, but it is not a cure. Fortunately, researchers across the globe, especially the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, are contributing everyday to finding a cure.
While the search for a cure proceeds, I exist  maintaining my health by checking my blood glucose content with finger pricks about 5-8 times a day, by giving myself injections of insulin about 4 times a day, exercising, and eating well.
My blog will discuss all of these areas to hopefully educate others on type one diabetes and to help fellow diabetics in their personal pursuit of health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment